Sunday, November 6, 2016

Women’s Style Rules: 1950s Vs. Present

This is so funny! Buzzfeed posted the video below in order to ridicule 1950's style rules, but I agree with most (not all) of what the video says! Maybe its because I'm in my 30's, but none of the styles the models wore were appealing to me at all. It is what it is, but I thought the tips were actually pretty good! The models are not wearing outfits that would be acceptable at many jobs and schools (of course universities are more liberal). The 1950's woman was over the top but I think she would definitely get respect (you should read the YouTube comments).




Miss Vintage 2014: Dress Like A Lady To Be Treated Like A Lady: In this video I love her cardigans! It may be too costume-like to wear so much 50's style at once but individual pieces are great. I prefer the cuts of 1950's and 60's clothes, they seemed to emphasize your good parts and minimize your flaws plus the material was so sturdy compared to the flimsy fabrics today. Also, unlike in the video, I like my skirts around knee length and I like the pinup model look with pencil skirts.

Vintage Style - Outfit Tips for Beginners (If you go overboard then you could be ridiculed...but it has never happened to me. I also don't bother with pantyhose but I wear tights or leggings in the winter. I like red nails but I don't like the way red lipstick looks on me.)

In future posts when I make fashion suggestions they will be based on a "vintage feminine" style that is classic and mixable with modern items. I focus on style instead of fashion because fashion is trendy and changes from season to season.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the designs and styles of that era were all intended to play up the good parts while giving you options to conceal the rest. I have vintage pieces from that time that are still stylish today and can be paired with pieces I buy off the rack.

    Right now I'm taking advantage of the trendy fleece lined leggings as a way to wear more skirts through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I have black fleece leggings to wear under my skirts but I could try a cute pattern or color too. Good idea :)

      Delete
  3. "In future posts when I make fashion suggestions they will be based on a "vintage feminine" style that is classic and mixable with modern items."

    Looking forward to seeing them. :) I'm a 20 year old black woman that's trying to experiment with different styles.

    ReplyDelete